Tuesday, February 27, 2007

What a Strange Book!


Cathy's Book: If Found Call 650-266-8233

This is one of the strangest books I have ever read. I found it on Scholastic book orders and ordered it out of curiosity. It was a fast read because it was so short, but it was also the most interactive book I have ever read.

The book includes all kinds of clippings, pictures, drawings, and photographs to make the novel seem more real. It also has an accessible phone number in its title through a web link called www.doubletalkwireless.com which requires access codes from the book for you to hear the same messages Cathy hears as she is investigating a suspicious boyfriend who has just broken up with her and who seems to be hiding a creepy secret. Cathy is an artist, so throughout her journal, she illustrates it with her ideas and side notes. This takes the book to another level and involves you even deeper in the drama.

The English teacher in me is intrigued by the many bird images throughout the book. And they are birds that we do not commonly know much about. I also appreciated the Asian flavor to much of the book, and I really liked the references to "hell money" that people pay (burn) in some parts of Asia for better luck. A really different book, and, in the end, perhaps a bit science fiction-y too. I also love Cathy's style of reading.

A quick, fast, fun read.

No comments: