Thursday, October 23, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Mango Street



To the right you will see the real live Esperanza -- Sandra Cisneros -- and a typical view of what Mango Street looks like today. It is hard for us to say goodbye to Mango Street, just as it was for Esperanza to in the book, but your IOPs on the novel will help to keep The House on Mango Street alive for us.
I want to express my appreciation for how well you did as we went through this novel. You were intuitive and insightful and made Marin, Nenny, Elenita, Darius, and even Geraldo come alive for me. This was the first time I have had the pleasure of teaching The House on Mango Street, and I am sure I will be returning again in the future.
I would like to encourage you to drop a note to Ms. Cisneros if you were impacted by the time you spent on Mango Street. We are fortunate that one of the works we study this year is by a living author. You can leave a message for her at her website: http://www.sandracisneros.com/
Adios, Esperanza!

No comments: