Sunday, November 30, 2008

Working On Your Tan



Amy Tan is telling her stories to us once again in Year One classes. Above you see a picture from almost twenty years ago of Amy and her mother Daisy reading one of their precious letters from the daughters left behind in China. Sadly, Daisy died a year after Amy's The Hundred Secret Senses was published (1998). She has said of her mother that when she died, Amy lost her muse and her conscience. Much of her writing has been an attempt to discover who she is through her mother's stories. "My mother's many names were vestiges of her many selves, lives I have been excavating most of my adult life," Tan wrote in a New York Times essay concerning her dilemma. "What I know about myself is related to what I know about her, her secrets...and with each discovery I had to reconfigure the growing whole."

Perhaps in reading The Joy Luck Club, you will find your story as well. Remember that your second and fourth threads must be posted on your blog site by the dates given in class. Also be sure you and your partner(s) are ready to teach the stories you have been assigned. Perhaps we will discover more about our theme -- Who Am I, Anyway?
Here are some links I promised to post:

No comments: